Asparagus 1 lb
Egg 4 ea
Parmigiano Reggiano 3 oz
Butter or extra virgin olive oil 3 oz
Parsley, freshly chopped just before service 2 tsp
Mise en Place
1. Wash and trim the asparagus
2. Blanch the asparagus in salted water. Shock in iced-water and set aside (or proceed to step 8 if you are serving them immediately.)
3. If doing this in advance reserve asparagus water for later use
4. Grate Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano, and shave some just before serving it.
5. Chop parsley.
6. When ready to serve or ready to eat, melt butter or olive oil in a pan (preferably non stick or well seasoned one), pour one egg per portion and slowly cook in the oven or right on the top of stove.
7. The egg yolk must be still liquid and the white must have no color.
8. While the egg is cooking remove asparagus from water or reheat them in cooking water as mention in step 3, dry the excess of water on a clean paper towel or clean napkin, and plate
9. Sprinkle the asparagus with grated Parmesan cheese, place egg over with the butter or olive oil). Garnish with few Parmesan shavings and chopped fresh parsley.
NOTE: you may also drizzle with few drops of aged balsamic vinegar on top of asparagus, before you place the egg over.
Yield: 4 Portions
Photo by Cheryl Paff